VQ Optometry has developed this site as an electronic resource respecting our practice.
We are committed to providing our patients and visitors with a web site that respects their privacy.
Any personal information you voluntarily provide is protected under Alberta’s Personal Information Protection Act or the Health Information Act. This means that, at the point of collection, you will be informed that your personal information is being collected, the purpose for which it is being collected and that you have a right of access to the information.
The privacy of our patient’s personal information is an important principle to VQ Optometry. We are committed to collecting, use, disclose, and protect a patient’s health information in a confidential, secure and appropriate manner.
Our eye care clinic collects, protects, uses, discloses, allows access, corrects, amends and disposes of health information in accordance with the Health Information Act (HIA).
Personal Information Collection and Use
Personal information collected from patients of this practice shall be limited to that required to:
a. evaluate your eye health and vision status,
b. determine and recommend appropriate treatment or referral,
c. communicate with you about the services we provide and advise about your eye care needs,
d. advise you to make routine appointments and remind you of scheduled appointments.
e. provide you with eye-care, health or other product or treatment information.
f. communicate with others (e.g. other health care providers, insurers, lawyers, health plan administrators) about your eye health, vision status and payment and collections,
g. process payment and pursue collection of accounts receivable for services and products received from our office.
In the course of providing services to you, your personal information may be disclosed
where required or allowed by law and may also be disclosed to:
- Other health care providers
- Insurers or other third party payers you have identified
- Regulatory authorities, where such information may assist in the investigation of a complaint or a review of standards of care
- Government authorities (eg. CCRA, Privacy Commissioner, Human Rights Commission, etc.) who have it in their mandate to access your file
- Our practice’s lawyers, accountants, information managers or other consultants contracted to provide advice or counsel regarding the administration or management of the practice
- On termination of sale of the practice, to a purchasing optometrist or file storage facility that agrees to serve as trustee of you personal information and to only access this information for the purpose of confirming their custody of your file, unless you initiate contact as a patient