Your Alberta Health Care Card does more than you think!
All Albertans have access to medical and urgent eye care provided by a Doctor of Optometry
- This means that, in the case of an eye-related emergency, you can skip the long wait at the ER and be seen by a eye specialist such as an Optometrist on the same day.
- These services are 100% covered by Alberta Health Care
- A referral is not required
- Doctors of Optometry have the proper knowledge and specialized equipment necessary to diagnose and treat visual health issues, or can refer to a specialist if needed
Urgent Care services include
- Infection, injury or inflammation of the eye and eyelid
- Foreign objects in the eye
- Sudden changes in vision or sudden vision loss
- Monitoring for diabetes and glaucoma complications
- Retinal detachment, defects and disease
- Pre and Post-operative care for cataract patients